This Boston Cream Pie Cake is the best of both worlds! Boston Cream Pie and a Cake! The pastry cream is so yummy in the recipe and easier to prepare than one would think! Oh, and the ganache! The ganache is decadent and rich and everything a ganache should be!
TRY THESE MORE CAKE RECIPES
BOSTON CREAM PIE CAKE RECIPES
This Boston Cream Pie is a classic cake - not a pie at all! It's a lovely vanilla cake layered with fresh pastry cream and chocolate ganache - all from scratch!
- 2 cups half & half
- 8T. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 4 T. cold butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- 2¼ cups flour
- 2 tsp.baking powder
- 1 tsp.baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 8 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
- ¾ c. heavy cream
- In a saucepan, combine the half & half, 6 T. of the sugar and salt. Heat to a simmer to melt the sugar.
- In a bowl, whisk the yolks. Add the other 2T. sugar. Whisk in the cornstarch until thick.
- Whisk the simmering cream from the pan into the yolks slowly and then pour it all back in the pan whisking constantly.
- Remove heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Strain this through a fine sieve or colander.
- Lay plastic wrap directly on top and chill 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans
- In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar 5 mins.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients on low.
- Add buttermilk and beat a few mins.
- Pour into the pans and bake for approx 25 mins.
- Cool 10 mins in pan and turn onto parchment lined cooling racks.
- Heat cream in microwave until almost at a boil.
- Pour over the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and let sit one minute covered. Whisk smooth.
- Set aside to thicken a few mins.
- Lay one cake on a platter, spread cream on top and place the second cake on.
- Spread ganache and keep chilled!
PIN IT TO PINTEREST !!